Wednesday 28 December 2011

Taslima Nasreen:Unplugged Feminist

One day I read that A fatwa was issued to kill Taslima Nasreen by allegedly liberal intelligentsia for writing a novel Lajja,in which a Hindu family is persecuted by Muslims.After the publication of Lajja,Nasreen suffered a number of physical and other attacks.I was very curious to know what Nasreen did and why a fatwa was issued to kill her.


I came to know that She was born to Rajab Ali and Ara in the town of Mymensingh in 1962.She wrote against Islamic philosophy and the people of Bangladesh took it angrily.Many Muslims became angry about her and called to ban her novel.In October 1993, an Islamic fundamentalist group called the Council of Islamic Soldiers issued a fatwa for her death.

I am trying to unravel the circumstances whichever the Taslima Nasreen was provoked and forced in the her writing.It was probably her expression of anguish at the sorry state of affair of her community and Muslim women in particular.
On researching the background of Taslima ,I came to across the following facts:

1.Her family life, where she was told to memorize from Quran, she
  wanted to know what they meant.Her mother could not tell her
  what it was saying or meant to say. mother could not gave
  proper answer.
2.Her mother could not convince her about Quran and Allah.
3.She routinely examined young girls had been raped during her
  practice as gynecologist .
4.  She started writing on women'rights.
5. Her thinking was completely different and she was passionate
  about her work.
6.She wrote a novels Lajja ,in which a Hindu family is
  persecuted by Muslims, and this was beginning of her real
  life.
7.A community  thought she are being supported by non-Muslim
  fundamentalists and they hurt-ed her and still seeking for a
  chance.
8.A fatwa was issued to kill her by allegedly liberal 
  intelligentsia, and this incident changed her life and career.
9.To save and survive she had to shift here and there 
  many country supported her but till today she feels like
  homeless.
10.Bangadesh govt. did not allow to enter in the country and she
   were not allowed to attain her parent funeral.
All these fact indicate that circumstances can turn as ordinary and traditional women in to a firebrand Feminist.All that has happened is completely due to events and circumstances. 
In spite of all the accolades that she has received all over the world .Now she is known as a physician, a writer, a feminist, a human rights activist and a secular humanist.She still does not have a place to call her owns.Unfortunately, still she is Homeless Everywhere.

In her own words:
Humankind is facing an uncertain future. The probability of new kinds of rivalry and conflict looms large. In particular, the conflict is between two different ideas, secularism and fundamentalism. I don't agree with those who think the conflict is between religions or between the East and the West. To me, this conflict is basically between rational, logical thinking and irrational blind faith. To me, this is a conflict between modernity and anti-modernism. While some strive to go forward, others strive to go backward.This is a conflict between innovation and tradition, between those who value freedom and those who do not.-Taslima Nasreen.

I believe in human rights, women’s rights, the freedom of speech and thought and expression, gender equality, secular humanism, and scientific rationality.These are unshakable beliefs.Inasmuch as I believe in my right to express my thoughts and opinions, I also believe in the rights of those who oppose my thoughts and expressions. They must individually have the right to express their thoughts freely, and so must I.

I am opposed to male oppression, religious fundamentalism, superstition, economic disparity, misogyny, ignorance, inequalities,injustices, and much else.Since my earliest childhood, I have opposed all this. No one taught me - it came from within.Again, from my earliest childhood I practised what I thought and felt.  This has moulded me in a different way.
She said "I know I shall face more and more problems. But I shall continue my battle till my last breath,".

At last:
Taslima has received a number of international awards recognition of her uncompromising demand for freedom of expression.
The irony of the whole thing is that the way women whose cause she is fighting is not in support of her although they love her and love to read her books.She also accepts and says  that Many support me in the subcontinent but most of them are afraid to support me publicly. 
Writing is her mission, and she believes in Tagore's Jodi tor dak shune keu na ashe, tobe ekla cholo re ( If no one comes to your support, plough a lonely furrow.) 





taslima nasreen
Thanks Sanjay ji. RT Taslima Nasreen : Battle till my last breath.


Mumbai,India

No comments:

Post a Comment